This post was created by the Contributor in partnership with BestBlackFriday.com, which specializes in holiday season sales. The deals highlighted within this post were independently selected and do not contain affiliate links.
With Black Friday 2018 just five days away,
is expected to be one of the leading players. Looking at its 52-page Black Friday ad this makes sense, there are some great deals. Unfortunately, however, Best Buy has also dropped the ball in one major area this year and you should steer well clear…
This is the 2nd is my Serious Problem Series. Working with sale specialists BestBlackFriday.com, this series shines a spotlight on a very high profile product or product category which is not the bargain it appears. So where could you go wrong shopping at Best Buy during Black Friday? It falls short in the same category as Walmart: games consoles. Yes, all of them.
Given that Best Buy is viewed as a great place to buy video game consoles on Black Friday this might come as a shock. Best Buy has well-advertised Nintendo Switch deals, Microsoft Xbox One deals, and Sony PlayStation 4 deals, but you’d be wasting your money buying them.
- Best Buy – Nintendo Switch Super Mario Kart Deluxe Bundle for $299.99 (save $59) – See Ad Scan Deal
- GameStop – Nintendo Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Bundle + $50 Gift Card for $299.99 – See Better Deal
- Kohl’s – Nintendo Switch with Turtle Beach Headset and Carrying Case + $90 free Kohl’s Cash for $329.99 – Ad Scan Link
Best Buy is selling the hugely popular Nintendo Switch Super Mario Kart Deluxe Bundle (ad link) for $299.99, but GameStop matches the price and bundles a $50 free gift card. Kohl’s also sells a Switch bundle with so much Kohl’s Cash and you can buy Mario Kart and still have $30 to spare while getting a headset and carry case as well (See Better Deal). Best Buy’s deal is a complete dud.
Microsoft Xbox One S Console/Bundle Deals
- Best Buy – Microsoft Xbox One S 1TB Minecraft Creators Bundle for $199.99 (save $100) – See Ad Scan Deal
- Kohl’s – Microsoft Xbox One S 1TB Minecraft Creators Bundle for $199 + $60 Kohl’s Cash – See Better Deal
- Target – Xbox One S 1TB Minecraft Bundle + Free $20 Gift Card for $199.99 – See Better Deal
Best Buy is again easily beaten by coupons here. Kohl’s and Target match the price but throw in $60 Kohl’s Cash for free and a $20 Target gift card respectively. Walmart also has the bundle for $0.99 less but Kohl’s and, to a lesser extent, Target are where you should shop this deal.
Sony PlayStation 4
- Best Buy – Sony PS4 Slim 1TB Spider-Man Bundle for $199.99 (save $100) – See Ad Scan Deal
- Kohl’s – Sony PS4 Slim 1TB Spider-Man Bundle + $60 Kohl’s Cash for $199.99 (save $100) – See Ad Scan Deal
Best Buy and Kohl’s price match this popular bunch, but Kohl’s includes $60 Kohl’s Cash which equates to a free AAA game. You can also find the Best Buy deal $0.99 cheaper at Walmart, but the only place you should buy this bundle is Kohl’s.
Where does Best Buy shine? It has the biggest Black Friday TV sales. As for Best Buy’s chief nemesis, Kohl’s games console deals may shine but it is far from perfect and has its own Black Friday problems. Meanwhile, no-one can touch Walmart’s smartphone sales. Always shop the deal, not the store.
To track my daily holiday season guides, leaks and recommendations hit the Follow button on my author page or follow me on any of the social media links below.
More of my Black Friday Guides on Forbes