The NFL has had a banner season when it comes to scores and engagement, thanks largely to the return of followers to stadiums, a slew of suspenseful video games and naturally, some off-field drama.
Why it issues: The 2021 viewership spike has quieted issues concerning 2020’s COVID-related decline, whereas additionally justifying the $100+ billion in media deals the league signed with its companions in March.
By the numbers: Viewership for the NFL’s 2021 common season was up 10% from 2020, its highest-rated season common since 2015, per Nielsen.
- The NFL accounted for 41 of the 50 most-watched broadcasts of 2021, per Sportico (subscription), and 75 of the highest 100.
- Video games averaged 17.1 million viewers (TV/digital), per the league, and 370 billion complete minutes had been consumed, up 18% from 2020 and the second-highest complete since 2015.
- Larger curiosity in video games was a boon for pregame shows, per Sports activities Enterprise Journal. NBC’s “Soccer Night time in America,” for instance, averaged 7.1 million viewers, an 18% enhance from 2020.
Between the traces: Just a few shut video games and an prolonged season might have helped drive extra viewership, and having followers again in stands enhanced the TV product.
- A report 34 video games had been selected the ultimate play, and 64% of video games had been inside eight factors (one rating) within the fourth quarter.
- 2021 was the primary 17-game season in NFL historical past, with the league including an extra 18th week to the schedule.
Zoom out: On-line, the NFL was the second most-read information subject in November and December. It trailed coronavirus, however was forward of Joe Biden and Donald Trump, per web page views knowledge from Taboola.
- Curiosity then took off within the first weekend of January — approach past the earlier months, based on Taboola knowledge — because the Week 17 slate included seven groups clinching playoff spots, fantasy soccer championships and Antonio Brown’s dramatic exit.
- Google search curiosity within the league hit its season-long peak this previous Sunday when the playoff discipline was hammered out, culminating in a dramatic Raiders-Chargers end with thousands and thousands rooting for a tie.
The large image: It is nice timing for the NFL, which is looking to renegotiate its Sunday Ticket rights package deal this 12 months, whereas additionally exploring strategic partners for a few of its media networks, like NFL Community and RedZone.
What to observe: Sports activities executives do not anticipate NBC to expertise the identical dramatic viewership declines for this 12 months’s Tremendous Bowl as final 12 months, when viewership fell to a 10-year TV low.
- The Tremendous Bowl is usually thought-about a TV scores success if greater than 100 million individuals watch it reside.
- Final 12 months’s sport was watched by 96.4 million viewers, although the published did break data as probably the most live-streamed NFL sport ever.
The underside line: Although the pandemic nonetheless lingers, the NFL clearly benefited from the semi-return to regular in 2021. Packed stadiums drove extra general curiosity, and followers fell again into their weekly routine of watching video games on Sundays (and Mondays and Thursdays).
Go deeper: The biggest toss-up in TV