Swimming occasions have wrapped up at Tokyo 2020 with the US and Australia dominant on Sunday morning Japan time. Covid-19 instances are rising quick. And much extra gold medals are up for grabs at the moment.
Tokyo’s two worlds: Saturday noticed Olympic data fall and new champions topped in yet one more thrilling day of motion. However exterior Tokyo’s stadiums, fields and race tracks, town is struggling to fight what stands out as the most devastating surge of Covid-19 the Japanese capital has seen to this point.
The Tokyo Metropolitan authorities stated Saturday they’d recognized one other 4,058 coronavirus instances, a brand new single-day report and greater than 3 times the 1,128 infections reported the prior Saturday.
Tokyo broke its single-day case report 4 instances this week. Nationwide, data fell 3 times this week — together with Saturday, when 12,341 new infections had been reported.
The so-called Olympic “bubble” seems to have held, with no main outbreaks to date. However there’s nonetheless per week left till the closing ceremony, and the pandemic reveals no indicators of abating.
Swimming ends: Swimming wrapped up at Tokyo 2020 on Sunday with 5 medal occasions, all of which had been received by both the US or Australia. American Caeleb Dressel added two extra gold medals to his haul — he’ll go away Tokyo with 5 golds in complete.
Australia’s Emma McKeon took residence two golds on Sunday, too. She received seven medals these Video games, together with three golds. In response to NBC, she is simply the second lady to win seven medals at a single Olympics, a feat solely beforehand achieved by Soviet gymnast Maria Gorokhovskaya.
Different golds Sunday morning:
- Charlotte Worthington of Nice Britain within the girls’s BMX freestyle.
- Logan Martin of Australia within the males’s BMX freestyle.
- Gong Lijiao of China within the girls’s shot put.
Medal rely replace: China leads all international locations with 22 gold medals, adopted by the US with 19 and Japan on 17. The Individuals lead the general medal tally with 52.
Here is what’s coming later:
- For the primary time since 2004, a males’s 100-meter ultimate will happen with out Usain Bolt.
- Tennis arms out its ultimate medals in males’s singles, girls’s doubles and blended doubles.
- Males’s and ladies’s gymnastics maintain two particular person occasions every beginning at 5 p.m. Tokyo time (4 a.m. ET). The ladies will compete in vault and uneven bars, and the boys in ground train and pommel horse. Simone Biles will not compete.
The total Olympic schedule may be discovered here.