Lindsay Mintenko, the managing director of the USA Swimming Nationwide Crew division, says that the enlargement of the U.S. teaching workers for the Olympics to incorporate 8 assistants is not going to be the usual going ahead.
“Not like earlier Video games, we had credentials remaining in our allotment and selected to make use of them in essentially the most environment friendly and useful manner doable for the crew,” Mintenko advised SwimSwam on Monday in an electronic mail. “On this case, that allowed us to carry an extra two coaches to assist our crew navigate what’s going to be essentially the most distinctive Olympic Video games ever, with a big crew!”
The U.S. will take 50 pool swimmers (26 ladies and 24 males) to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. That’s greater than latest groups, with 45 pool swimmers named to the crew in 2016 and 47 pool swimmers named to the crew in 2012.
There might be extra strain on the larger-than-normal workers, because the crew received’t be accompanied to their first coaching camp in Hawaii by dwelling coaches, which is the standard follow. Which means that the ten pool coaches, plus 2 extra coaches in attendance (extra on that later), might be accountable for on-deck coaching of all 50 athletes for five weeks, as a substitute of the standard 2 (after all with enter from their dwelling coaches).
Additionally uncommon this yr is that athletes have the chance to go dwelling, pack, and regroup earlier than heading out to the coaching camp. Typically, athletes have to depart straight from Trials to the Olympics, save for a number of who stay in geographically favorable locations. Whereas the rescheduled Olympic Trials moved them per week earlier within the cycle as in comparison with earlier years, USA Swimming had a number of further days in-built anyway – the unique camp in 2020 was scheduled to start in Palo Alto on July 5, which was the identical week after the top of Trials.
Extra Hawaii Coaches
Along with the ten coaches formally named, the workers might be supported by two different coaches for the two-plus week portion of the camp in Hawaii.
Aitken, essentially the most controversial omission from the formal Olympic workers, straight coaches three swimmers who’ve certified for the US crew: distance swimmers Erica Sullivan, Katie Grimes, and Bella Sims. As well as, he was the youth coach of 4×100 free relay Olympian Bowe Becker, who represents the crew at nationwide meets however doesn’t at the moment prepare there. A fifth Olympian, Blake Pieroni within the males’s 400 free relay, represents the membership in nationwide competitors however has by no means recurrently educated there.
Arckey, in the meantime, is the coach of Emma Weyant, who received the ladies’s 400 IM on the Olympic Trials.
With numerous younger pre-collegiate swimmers on the crew this yr, Aitken and Arckey’s expertise working with age group and excessive school-aged swimmers might be essential, particularly with households not capable of journey to Tokyo this yr.
Usually, the camp is full of dwelling coaches, however this yr, these numbers have been restricted due to the continuing pandemic. On this setting, Aitken and Arckey should not thought of “dwelling coaches,” although they’re the house coaches of athletes on the crew.
Coaching Camp Particulars
- Coaching Camp 1 – June 27-July 12, 2021 – Honolulu, Hawaii
- Coaching Camp 2 – July 13-19, 2021 – Tokyo, Japan
- Worldwide Coaching (transfer into the Olympic Village) – July 21-23, 2021 – Tokyo, Japan
- Olympic Video games Opening Ceremony – July 23, 2021
- Olympic Video games – Swimming competitors – July 24-August 1, 2021
- Return dwelling – August 2, 2021
Tokyo 2020 US Olympic Swimming Teaching Employees
- Greg Meehan, Stanford – Head Ladies’s Coach (Pool)
- Dave Durden, Cal – Head Males’s Coach (Pool)
- Catherine Kase, Unattached – Head Coach (Open Water)
- Peter Andrew, Michael Andrew Swim Academy – Assistant Coach (Pool)
- Jack Bauerle, Georgia – Assistant Coach (Pool)
- Bob Bowman, Arizona State – Assistant Coach (Pool)
- Todd DeSorbo, Virginia – Assistant Coach (Pool)
- Ray Looze, Indiana – Assistant Coach (Pool)
- Teri McKeever, Cal – Assistant Coach (Pool)
- Anthony Nesty, Florida – Assistant Coach (Pool)
- Gregg Troy, Gator Swim Membership – Assistant Coach (Pool)