||Heat climate attracts larger numbers of individuals and wildlife to San José parks and trails. Residents are suggested to take precautions to forestall heat-related sickness and encounters with wildlife whereas taking good care of their bodily and psychological well being outside.
The Division of Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Companies’ Park Rangers want to share security ideas with guests venturing by San José’s parks and trails. Follow these tips together with all park guidelines, posted signage and State and County well being tips to remain secure throughout hotter days.
Heat climate/climbing precautions:
Keep on marked trails and maintain your pets on a leash to scale back encounters with rattlesnakes, ticks, and mountain lions.
- Keep away from climbing when temperatures begin to rise.
- Carry loads of consuming water for you and your pets.
- Use solar safety.
- Should you assume you or another person is affected by warmth stroke, name 911.
Rattlesnakes are extra generally seen in the course of the summer time months as a result of their cold-blooded our bodies require warmth regulation. Rattlesnakes will search the solar or radiating warmth from rocks, trails or asphalt throughout cooler components of the day.
Should you see a snake, cease and maintain your distance. By no means try to the touch, catch, kill or scare it away. Give the snake area to again away. Snakes are an vital a part of the ecosystem as they assist management rodent populations which might carry illness.
- Keep on marked trails. Rattlesnakes will usually den in rocky areas and excessive brush.
- At all times watch the place you step and be sure you search for snakes in areas of excessive brush, below logs and when stepping over logs or fallen bushes.
- Put on lengthy pants and heavy boots which might be 4 inches above the ankle.
- Inform a Ranger or park worker in the event you see a snake. Rangers will seize and relocate the snake away from potential human interplay.
- Within the uncommon case of a snake chew, don’t panic. Stay calm and slowly transfer away from the snake. DO NOT apply a chilly pack or tourniquet, lower the chew or try to suck out the venom. Name 9-1-1 or ship somebody for assist.
Ticks are small arachnids present in wooded and grassy areas that may connect to animals and folks and feed off their blood. Tick bites are extraordinarily harmful because of the transmission of Lyme disease and different tick borne diseases, a few of which might be deadly with out remedy.
Keep on marked trails. Don’t stroll by excessive brush.
- Put on repellent.
- Verify your physique and clothes for ticks after a hike. Put on gentle coloration garments when climbing so you’ll be able to see the ticks simpler.
- Bathe quickly after being outside.
- Name your physician in the event you develop a fever, rash, or can not fully take away the tick and all its mouth components. Don’t burn, smother with petroleum jelly, or put alcohol on the tick.
- Go to the hospital instantly if the tick chew causes fever, headache, confusion, weak spot, numbness or problem respiration.
- You probably have a canine, take precautions and get them preventative remedy. Verify canines hair for ticks after hikes and if any are discovered, fastidiously take away your entire tick with tweezers.
Mountain lions, often known as “pumas” or “cougars” are a protected species in California. These giant, highly effective predators play an vital position within the ecosystem. Greater than half of California, together with most of undeveloped Santa Clara County, is prime mountain lion habitat.
Mountain Lion Precautions:
Keep on marked trails and keep away from climbing alone, particularly at nightfall or daybreak.
- By no means method a mountain lion.
- Again away slowly. This provides the lion a chance to flee. Do not stay within the space or attempt to move.
- Stand tall, face the animal, make noise and attempt to look greater by waving your arms or throwing objects.
- Don’t flip your again or run away, which could set off a chase response.
- Choose up babies, with out bending over.
- Battle again, if attacked.
- Report all mountain lion sightings and encounters instantly. Should you see a mountain lion within the space, name 3-1-1 or 9-1-1 if the animal reveals indicators of aggression reminiscent of growling or chasing.
For extra ideas, go to bit.ly/wildlife-warm-weather-tips.