June 7, 2021 – Nyon, Switzerland — A brand new report by the Worldwide Osteoporosis Basis (IOF) attracts consideration to the burden of osteoporosis and the gaps and inequalities within the provision of major and secondary prevention of fractures on account of osteoporosis throughout Europe. ‘SCOPE 2021: a new scorecard for osteoporosis in Europe‘ offers detailed findings for the 27 nations of the European Union in addition to Switzerland and the UK (known as ‘EU27+2’), protecting key indicators for 4 domains: burden of illness, coverage framework, service provision and repair uptake.
Professor John A. Kanis, IOF Honorary President and lead writer of SCOPE, said:
“Osteoporosis is a significant concern in Europe because it leads to 4.3 million fragility fractures and well being care prices in extra of €56 billion yearly. Searching for to prioritize osteoporosis prevention within the EU27+2 nations, the SCOPE 2021 report has tracked key indicators of burden and repair uptake which can assist Europeans measure how properly their nation is ready to present high quality care, together with entry to danger evaluation and drugs. It additionally offers a brand new benchmark to comply with developments in osteoporosis administration, and to measure future progress.”
Osteoporosis is a progressive power illness that causes bones to turn out to be fragile and weak, leaving people at excessive danger of fragility fractures. Such fractures can have a critical influence on the sufferer, resulting in ache, long-term incapacity and even untimely loss of life. Within the EU27+2, there have been estimated to be greater than 1 / 4 of one million fragility fracture-related deaths in 2019. This quantity is akin to, or exceeds, different frequent causes of loss of life equivalent to lung most cancers, diabetes, or power decrease respiratory illnesses.
Osteoporosis and fragility fractures place a heavy burden on Europe’s inhabitants
SCOPE 2021 examined the burden of osteoporosis and fragility fractures within the EU27+2 nations, discovering:
- The entire direct value of fragility fractures was immense at €56.9 billion in 2019. This includes €36.3 billion for direct prices of incident fractures, €19.0 billion for ongoing long-term incapacity prices (from fractures that occurred earlier than 2019), and €1.6 billion for evaluation and pharmacological remedy.
- The common direct value of osteoporotic fractures was €109.1 for every particular person – as compared, in 2010 the typical for the EU27 was €85 (after adjusting for inflation).
- Based mostly on the WHO / bone mineral density standards, there have been roughly 32.0 million people with osteoporosis, of which 6.5 million had been males and 25.5 million had been girls (2019).
- An estimated 4.3 million new fragility fractures occurred in 2019–equivalent to 11,705 fractures/day (or 487 per hour).
- Based mostly on ten-year chance of a significant fracture, 23.8 million Europeans had a chance of main fracture above the thresholds for top danger.
- There was a marked distinction in fracture danger among the many nations. The chance of future hip fracture in women and men on the age of fifty years assorted from 3.8-10.9% in males and seven.0-25.1% in girls.
- Given the projected improve within the aged inhabitants, the annual variety of osteoporotic fractures within the EU27+2 is projected to rise by +24.8%; from 4.28 million in 2019 to five.34 million in 2034.
Service provision lags in lots of nations
SCOPE 2021 additionally discovered notable inadequacies in service provision that hinder many Europeans from getting the care they should stop osteoporosis and fragility fractures:
- In lots of nations there’s suboptimal availability of DXA scanners, that are used to diagnose and monitor osteoporosis. Ten nations reported having lower than the estimated minimal DXA items required, and solely 15 of the 29 nations present full reimbursement.
- All kinds of accredited drugs is accessible for the administration of osteoporosis. Lower than half of the nations provided full reimbursement for these drugs.
- Put up-Fracture Care Coordination Applications (or Fracture Liaison Providers) in hospitals had been missing in eight nations. Based mostly on professional opinion, roughly half of the remaining nations reported that lower than 10% of hospitals had such very important packages in place.
Giant remedy hole signifies want for methods to enhance service uptake
Among the many most startling findings of SCOPE 2021 is the big ‘remedy hole’ which is leaving essentially the most excessive danger people unprotected towards fragility fractures. Different measures of service uptake had been additionally discovered to be suboptimal:
- In 2019 a mean of 71% of girls at excessive fracture danger didn’t obtain remedy for osteoporosis, starting from 32% (Eire) to 87% (Bulgaria).
- In 2010 the hole was estimated at 55% (or 10.6 million girls) who had been eligible for remedy however had been untreated – this quantity has risen to 14.8 million in 2019.
- FRAX, essentially the most generally used danger evaluation software, is accessible for twenty-four of the 29 nations. Nonetheless, its web-based utilization assorted broadly from 49 to 41,874 periods per million inhabitants. This means that the software is underutilized in most nations.
- Ready instances between admission to hospital and surgical intervention had been on common larger than 48 hours in 5 of the 29 nations. Early surgical procedure inside 48 hours of a hip fracture has been proven to considerably scale back mortality and improve the proportion of sufferers returning to their unique residence.
Professor Cyrus Cooper, President of IOF, welcomed the publication of SCOPE 2021 and urged European well being authorities to prioritize osteoporosis and fracture prevention:
“This necessary publication clearly reveals that osteoporosis is a significant well being care burden in Europe, leading to huge, and rising, prices to nationwide well being care methods. In addition to revealing extensive discrepancies in service provision and uptake inside the EU, SCOPE has uncovered an unacceptable remedy hole and poor provision of post-fracture care packages to stop secondary fractures. Regardless of the extensive availability of therapies to stop fractures, solely a minority of sufferers at excessive danger obtain remedy even after their first fracture.”
“IOF joins nationwide osteoporosis societies in Europe in calling for a Europe-wide technique and parallel nationwide methods to offer coordinated osteoporosis care and to scale back debilitating fractures and their influence on particular person lives and well being care methods. Given the projected improve in fracture burden, pressing motion have to be taken.”
Kanis JA, Norton N, Harvey NC, Jacobson T, Johansson H, Lorentzon M, McCloskey EV, Willers C, Borgström F. SCOPE 2021: a brand new scorecard for osteoporosis in Europe. Arch Osteoporos 16, 82 (2021). https:/
SCOPE 2021 assets: https:/
The mission of the scorecard for osteoporosis in Europe (SCOPE) undertaking is to lift consciousness of osteoporosis care in Europe. SCOPE permits an in-depth comparability of the standard of care of osteoporosis throughout the 27 member states of the European Union (EU27), along with the UK and Switzerland (termed EU27+2).
SCOPE summarises key indicators of the burden of osteoporosis and its administration in every of the member states of the European Union to attract consideration to the disparities in healthcare provision that may serve within the setting of benchmarks to tell sufferers, healthcare suppliers and coverage makers within the EU. This replace of the unique SCOPE publication and scorecard compares the unique outcomes from 2010 to knowledge as latest as 2019. The newer knowledge offers a newer overview, in addition to a approach to evaluate administration of osteoporosis over time, inside and between the EU27+2 nations.
In creating this scorecard, the goal is to stimulate a balanced, frequent and optimum strategy to the administration of osteoporosis all through the EU27+2.
The Worldwide Osteoporosis Basis (IOF) is the world’s largest nongovernmental group devoted to the prevention, analysis and remedy of osteoporosis and associated musculoskeletal illnesses. IOF members, together with committees of scientific researchers in addition to 268 affected person, medical and analysis societies, work collectively to make fracture prevention and wholesome mobility a worldwide heath care precedence. https:/
Disclaimer: AAAS and EurekAlert! aren’t liable for the accuracy of reports releases posted to EurekAlert! by contributing establishments or for using any info by the EurekAlert system.