January 29, 1929: Quickly after a giant opening gala and some weeks of being booked stable by curious locals, the higher flooring of the lodge had been leased to Scott & White Hospital for lodge lodging for households of sufferers and for outpatient care.
1933: The Nice Despair took a toll on the Kyle Resort, forcing change within the administration of the lodge due to monetary difficulties introduced on by the financial disaster and low lodge occupancy. Dr. Arthur C. Scott and W.W. Kyle, a rich Beaumont businessman who assist finance the constructing of the hospital, collectively bought the capital inventory of the company, and a brand new 15-year lease was signed between administration and Scott & White hospital. However all through the Nineteen Thirties and Nineteen Forties, the hospital’s use of the lodge continued a lot the identical — that of lodging for households of sufferers on the hospital and outpatient care.
1951: The lodge was described in hospital literature because the “Kyle Resort Convalescent Heart” for ambulatory affected person care and was one in all 5 auxiliary items then supporting an expansive bodily plant on Avenue G. In 1960, the Kyle’s important flooring banquet amenities had been enlarged by demolishing a patio with a fountain.
1963: The hospital/lodge relationship continued when Scott & White moved to a brand new website on the southern fringe of Temple. The transfer was a severe blow to the lodge’s monetary stability. Quickly after Scott & White opened on thirty first Avenue, new inns such because the Hospitality Inn adopted. However even after the transfer, the hospital’s governing board continued holding its common board conferences on the Kyle.
1965: Resort occupancy was on the decline. The lodge was sustained by conversion to an condominium lodge whereas its public areas more and more had been rented to civic and social teams to generate earnings.
1973-1974: After W.W. Kyle’s demise in 1973, Brudge Kyle, his brother and executor of his property, tried to promote the lodge. His effort failed so Brudge closed the lodge in 1974 because of low occupancy and income losses introduced on by the lack of hospital patronage, the vitality disaster and different elements. The 22 remaining residents and retailer entrance companies moved out.
1979: In 1979, Kyle offered the lodge to traders from Walker County. Some exterior renovation (together with substitute of lots of the authentic wooden sash home windows) was completed in 1981 below that possession, however the endeavor was undercapitalized and the property was repossessed by the lending company.
1989: The current proprietor, The Temple Kyle Partnership, purchased the property.
Working with Temple architect Robert Weaver and Temple contractor Bob Lowe Development Co., the proprietor renovated the constructing and transformed the inside to retirement flats. The work, carried out using the Rehabilitation Tax Credit score Program, was accomplished in August 1991.
1993: The constructing was listed within the Nationwide Register of Historic Locations.
Jan. 1 2005: Temple Housing Authority entered into an settlement with Temple Kyle Restricted Partnership to buy the property. Since changing into the proprietor, the housing authority has centered on rehabilitating the constructing and continues to function it as Part 8 housing.
Supply: Barbara Bozon, government director of the Central Texas Housing Authority