If there have been ever a creamy potato dish price making, it’s this one. It’s very similar to scalloped potatoes, however higher, personally. It comes in combination merely and wonderfully, without a roux required.
This potatoes au gratin recipe is in fact referred to as gratin dauphinois in France. Gratin dauphinois hails from the Dauphiné area in southeastern France, which is nestled subsequent to Italy.
Gratin dauphinois options thinly sliced rounds of potatoes cooked in cream, every so often with cheese however regularly with out. This potato gratin features a beneficiant quantity of Gruyère cheese, and I wouldn’t need it some other manner! The recipe is frivolously seasoned with garlic, pepper and nutmeg, and the outcome is simply… magic.
In the event you would really like a second of glad silence at your bustling vacation meal, serve this recipe. I’ve actually watched folks move quiet upon their first chunk. That’s once I know a recipe is excellent!
Potatoes au Gratin Elements
This recipe makes use of a brief record of substances and the flavour is in reality superb. You’ll in finding the overall recipe on the backside of the put up, with a print-friendly choice.
Starchy russet potatoes are perfect for potatoes au gratin. Whilst I’m usually a large fan of potato skins, you’ll want to peel the potato skins earlier than cutting the potatoes for the perfect melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Heavy cream is find out how to move with this recipe. I’ve attempted part and part and it really works decently neatly, however clumps fairly. Complete milk clumps and doesn’t yield a creamy gratin, so I strongly advise in opposition to it.
Recent garlic, at all times! Two cloves subtly infuse this dish with impossible to resist fragrant taste.
Black pepper, nutmeg & salt
Freshly floor black pepper and only a pinch of nutmeg are all you wish to have right here. Smartly, and salt—potatoes love salt.
Gruyère cheese or Emmental
Gruyère cheese is extra anticipated in gratin dauphinois, however I really like Emmental similarly neatly. Whilst Emmental is very similar to Swiss cheese, Swiss cheese didn’t prove neatly in our checks, because it hardened an excessive amount of.
Recent chives are non-compulsory, however be offering a stupendous burst of unpolluted inexperienced coloration on height of this creamy, golden brown dish.
The best way to Make Potatoes au Gratin
This recipe is easy and you’ll be able to watch it come in combination within the quick video beneath. Right here’s a rundown with some added notes:
1) Peel and slice the potatoes.
Preferably, you’re cutting the potatoes as thinly as most likely, about 1/8-inch thick. That is tough even with the sharpest of chef’s knives.
I’m at all times hesitant to suggest a mandoline slicer as a result of they’re unhealthy, however the mandoline undeniably yields the thinnest and maximum uniform effects. When the usage of a mandoline, please keep centered at the process to hand, know the place your palms are always, and don’t be tempted to slice any nearer to the top of the potato than you’re feeling absolutely assured doing.
2) Whisk in combination the cream, minced garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Simple sufficient! The garlic and spices will settle, so that you’ll want to whisk the combination each and every time simply earlier than the usage of.
3) Get started layering the potatoes, then layer with cream and cheese.
Organize about one-third of the potatoes within the backside of a 9-inch sq. pan in an overlapping fish-scale development. (That is my cherished 9-inch pan, when you’re out there.) Whisk the cream combination, pour in a portion of it, and sprinkle some cheese on height.
4) Repeat, repeat. Best with all final cheese.
Potatoes, whisked cream, and extra cheese, in that order.
5) Bake, and canopy it towards the top of baking.
After about 40 mins within the oven, the highest must be turning effectively golden. We’re going to hide it with parchment or foil to stop the highest from turning into too browned by the point the potatoes are cooked by way of. The potatoes are performed as soon as you’ll be able to press a fork all through the middle of the dish very easily (if unsure, move somewhat longer).
6) In brief cool, then serve.
This dish wishes a minimum of 20 mins to chill earlier than serving. Instantly out of the oven, it’s a ways too scorching to serve, and the layers want a possibility to chill fairly so as to stay their form. Sprinkle with chopped chives earlier than serving, if desired.
Watch The best way to Make Potatoes au Gratin
Extra Potato Recipes to Make
In the event you love potatoes (and who doesn’t?), you can’t leave out those potato recipes on Cookie and Kate:
Please let me understand how your gratin seems within the feedback! I like listening to from you.
Potatoes au Gratin (Gratin Dauphinois)
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook dinner Time: 45 mins
- General Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Class: Facet Dish
- Means: Baked
- Delicacies: French
- Vitamin: Vegetarian
This potatoes au gratin recipe is wealthy, golden brown and totally impossible to resist! Referred to as gratin dauphinois in France, this potato gratin is made with layers of potato, cream and cheese. It’s worthy of your vacation desk! Recipe yields 12 aspect servings.
- 2 kilos russet potatoes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon superb salt
- 10 twists of freshly floor black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 2 cups (8 oz) grated Gruyère cheese or Emmental
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped recent chives, non-compulsory
- Preheat the oven to 425 levels Fahrenheit. Peel the potatoes and slice them as thinly as conceivable, preferably ⅛-inch thick.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk in combination the cream, minced garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Organize about one-third of the potatoes within the backside of a 9-inch sq. pan in an overlapping fish-scale development. Whisk the cream combination once more, then pour about one-third of the cream combination over the potatoes. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the cheese.
- Repeat this two extra instances, topping with the entire final cheese.
- Bake for 40 mins, then position a sheet of parchment paper or foil excessive to stop it from turning too brown. Bake for five to ten extra mins, checking each and every 5, till you’ll be able to press a fork all through the potatoes very easily.
- Let the dish cool for a minimum of 20 mins (it’s loopy scorching). Garnish with the non-compulsory chives, if desired, and serve heat.
Get ready prematurely: This dish may also be assembled as much as 24 hours prematurely. Relax it within the fridge, coated. It’ll most likely want extra time within the oven because it’s beginning off chilly, and it’s tricky to supply actual timing on this situation. Keep watch over the dish beginning at 40 mins and canopy it as soon as it’s turning effectively golden on height.
▸ Diet Knowledge
Did you are making this recipe?