You’ll put no matter candy Christmassy issues you could have putting round on this – thick cranberry sauce, little chunks of marzipan, Christmas pudding or bits of crumbled Christmas cake. Nuts, too (pecans, hazelnuts and walnuts are highest).
If you’ll be able to in finding JR Feuilles de Filo use that – it’s a lot better than different broadly to be had manufacturers.
Prep time: half-hour, plus cooling time
Cook dinner time: 50 mins
- 50g dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp port, or no matter candy alcohol you need to hand
- 600g Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and lower into very skinny slices
- ½ tsp floor cinnamon (non-compulsory)
- 40g comfortable light-brown sugar
- finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- 150g Christmas pudding, damaged into items
- 45g marzipan, damaged into little nuggets (non-compulsory – it’s possible you’ll now not have any left over)
- 250g filo pastry sheets
- 55g butter, melted
- icing sugar for dusting
- Warmth the oven to 190C/180C fan/fuel mark 6.
- Put the cranberries right into a small saucepan with the alcohol. Set over a top warmth and once you notice the liquid effervescent pull it off the warmth, stir and go away the cranberries to plump up for half-hour.
- Put the apple slices into a big bowl with the cinnamon, if the use of, the sugar and lemon zest and blend in combination. Upload the items of Christmas pudding, marzipan chunks and cranberries.
- On a blank tea towel, lay one layer of filo pastry measuring more or less 38cm x 44cm (you might wish to overlap two sheets, relying on their measurement) with the lengthy facet nearest you. Brush with melted butter and upload some other sheet (or two once more).
- Butter the pastry and proceed to layer and butter till you’ve used up all of the pastry. Spoon the filling directly to the pastry in a sausage form about 5cm in from the lengthy edge nearest to you. Attempt to distribute the bits of marzipan flippantly and go away a couple of centimetres transparent at every brief finish as a way to seal within the filling.
- The usage of the tea towel that can assist you, roll the strudel as much as enclose the filling, like a Swiss roll. Flip the ends beneath to seal the strudel. Elevate the tea towel with the strudel on it to a big baking sheet or some of the steel trays out of your oven.
- Moderately push the strudel off the tea towel directly to the tray, finishing up with the pastry seam beneath. It will glance messy, however filo pastry all the time appears excellent as soon as it’s cooked and sifted with icing sugar so don’t concern.
- Brush the strudel with the remainder of the butter and bake for 40 mins, or till golden brown. Go away to chill to room temperature. Mud with icing sugar prior to serving.