The scientist will essentially paintings at the RO information conversion from low-level GNSS observations to high-level profiles (e.g., bending perspective) as a NOAA/NESDIS/STAR RO crew member.
Nov. 16, 2022 4:30 pm
Utility closing date
Jan. 15, 2023 5:00 pm
ESSIC/CISESS on the College of Maryland
ESSIC and the Cooperative Institute for Satellite tv for pc Earth Gadget Research (CISESS) of the College of Maryland, School Park, are in quest of a scientist for the World Navigation Satellite tv for pc Gadget (GNSS) Radio Occultation (RO) Calibration/Validation paintings.
The scientist will essentially paintings at the RO information conversion from low-level GNSS observations to high-level profiles (e.g., bending perspective) as a NOAA/NESDIS/STAR RO crew member. GNSS RO is an lively far flung sensing methodology that gives treasured knowledge at the vertical diversifications of electron density within the ionosphere and temperature, force, and water vapor within the stratosphere and troposphere. The bending perspective profiles derived from RO alerts were utilized in operational numerical climate prediction (NWP) techniques thru information assimilation to right kind temperature bias within the forecasts. The CISESS RO crew helps NOAA’s RO satellite tv for pc processing and science packages for the NOAA spine undertaking (i.e., COSMIC-2), the industrial RO missions, and NOAA companions’ missions.
The candidate will paintings with the crew lead on evaluating/validating Actual Orbit Choice (POD) effects for GNSS satellites and LEO (low Earth orbit) satellites, coding and upgrading scripts to automate the processing procedures from uncooked GNSS observations to high-level bending perspective profiles. The candidate will carry out inter-satellite co-location RO profile comparisons and prediction of the site of the RO profiles and be expecting occasional cyber web interface design for exhibiting effects.
The candidate is anticipated to give a contribution to the next:
- Design LEO or Small satellite tv for pc Actual Orbit Choice (POD) set of rules with Bernese or different POD device
- Robotically operating POD device and different positioning device to supply and examine/validate the satellite tv for pc orbital ephemeris and clock bias effects from different RO facilities.
- Coding scripts and automation for low-level to high-level RO information conversion.
- Supporting inter-LEO extra section/bending perspective comparisons from other processing procedures/facilities.
- Set of rules implementation for RO processing on other ranges.
- Lend a hand with easy web-contents design for exhibiting RO effects on other ranges.
- Put up analysis leads to peer-reviewed journals and take part in meetings.
Wisdom, Abilities, and Talents:
- Robust Revel in with code construction in FORTRAN/C/Python, script language (bash, Perl, and many others.) in Linux/Unix environments, and visualization coding in IDL and/or Matlab.
- Revel in processing huge quantities of the observational dataset the use of a couple of threads/clusters.
- Revel in with same old information structure, e.g., netCDF-4, BUFR, GRIB, and many others.
- Accustomed to GNSS positioning idea and a minimum of one GNSS/LEO satellite tv for pc POD device.
- Figuring out GNSS positioning idea and geodetic datum
- Figuring out LEO satellite tv for pc Radio Occultation idea.
- Confirmed skill to paintings neatly in a crew setting
- Related peer-reviewed publications
- Just right writing and oral conversation talents
For extra main points